Monday, February 16, 2015

Back At It!

It's 2:00 AM and I am finally getting back to my blog.  Things around here just got a bit hectic, and I can't seem to get over my sinus infection or whatever it is so I haven't been on top of things!  Today was a Monday holiday (President's Day) so I really tried to catch up on things.  First on the list was dusting and sweeping the floor.  Now isn't that an exciting way to spend a day off work!  But it needed done.

 Oral Communications is over and I ended up with a 97.3, so I'm happy with that.  It was a calmer week since I didn't have to worry about putting together another speech!  I finished the last of my homework for the first week of Computer Applications.  Learned how to do Power Point presentations using Office 2013.  Looks like this class is going to have a lot of homework!  It seems so funny for me to be talking about my homework!   But, like I've said many times, I'm not too old!!

In my post on January 24th, I was talking to you about my second speech on things to do in Crawford County (Ohio).  I told you a little about the Bratwurst Festival in Bucyrus, and said I'd tell you about my Main Point 2 the next day.  Well the next day has come and went several times over, so I'm going to go back to that.  My second point in that speech was talking about the Hatchery Festival in New Washington, Ohio.

New Washington is a small town of about 900 people in Northern Crawford County.  The Bank that I work at is in New Washington.  The last weekend in June they hold the Hatchery Festival.  I know that seems like an odd name for a festival, but it comes from the fact that the New Washington in the birthplace of the Baby Chick (Hatchery) Industry. In 1885, a young man of 14 named Michael Uhl build an incubator that could hold 120 eggs at once.  His father wasn't too thrilled with his endeavor, but once he saw how many chicks he could hatch he realized he might be on to something!  A few years later a man from Canton, Ohio asked if Michael could ship some baby chicks to him.  So the young man put 19 chicks into a carton covered in burlap and took it to the railroad station to ship to Canton.  At first the railroad didn't want to take the chance that they would die en route, but after some discussion, they shipped the chicks.  All 19 arrive safe and sound and an industry was born!

So, in 2001 when the town wanted to have a festival as a fund raiser to raise money for their beautification project, it seemed natural that they should call it the Hatchery Festival.  Like any good festival there are plenty of food stands along the streets.  They also have rides and a parade and fireworks on the last day.  A really popular event is the Harley Davidson raffle.  It's a fun three days if you're ever near New Washington, Ohio the last weekend in June!




Tomorrow (actually tonight) I'll tell you a little about the Speak Easy in Bucyrus.  I have school from 6-10, but I took a vacation day so I had a 4-day weekend.  That's always nice.  Everyone take care, and I'll talk to you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment